By the Wood’s Homes Community Resource Team
Spring is just around the corner in Calgary. As a time of renewal, it’s a perfect opportunity to make some positive changes in your life.
Making these small changes in your daily routine can make a huge difference in how you feel about your life overall.
1. Get enough sleep. The right amount of good quality sleep helps the brain function and impacts our ability to manage our emotions. Consult your physician about how much sleep you should be getting.
2. Eat a balanced diet. Eating well provides fuel for the brain and body, thus increasing our energy and motivation to make out important life decisions. Make yourself a healthy snack today.
3. Get fresh air. Fresh air cleans out our lungs, allowing us to breathe deeply – bringing more oxygen to the brain. On a nice day, eat your lunch outside.
4. Be active. Physical activity increases energy levels and improves mood by enhancing the feel-good chemicals in the brain. Take 15 minutes out of your day to go for a walk.
5. Spend time doing things you enjoy. Balancing the demands in your life to make time for fun allows you to feel capable of managing stressful situations and events. What would YOU like to do today?
6. Surround yourself with people who care. Take 5 minutes out of your day to reach out to someone who matters to you.
7. Talk about your feelings. Keeping our feelings inside can make us feel alone and isolated. Is there something that you need to talk about?
8. Care for others. Taking time to do things for others helps us to feel valued in our community. Reach out to someone who may need your support today.
Ask for help. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your friends, family and community – let’s work together!
If you are experiencing a crisis and need to speak to someone, please call our counsellors at our 24/7 Crisis Counselling Line: 403-299-9699 or toll-free: 1-800-563-6106.
Wood’s Homes is a nationally accredited mental health centre – proudly helping communities for over 100 years. Learn more at woodshomes.ca.